On 21 April, the Saudi Defence Ministry declared it was ending the campaign of airstrikes because it had “successfully eliminated the threat” to its security posed by Houthi ballistic and heavy weaponry. It announced the start of a new phase codenamed Operation Restoring Hope.
Goals of the Operation
To protect the Yemeni people, counter any military moves by the Houthis or their allies
To deal with any threat against the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia or its neighbors
To move forward in line with U.N. Security Council Resolution 2216 on Yemen, the GCC Initiative, and the outcomes of the Yemeni National Dialogue.
Continuity of Strikes
Earlier that day King Salman ordered the Saudi National Guard to join the military operation. Air and naval strikes continued despite the announcement that Decisive Storm had ended.
On 13 May, humanitarian agencies said they were trying to get aid into Yemen after a five-day ceasefire took effect on Tuesday night. Ships carrying humanitarian supplies docked at the Houthi-controlled Red Sea port of Hudaydah as planes were standing by to help evacuate the injured. Meanwhile, King Salman doubled his country’s Yemen aid pledge to $540 million, funds the UN said would “meet the life-saving and protection needs of 7.5 million people affected”.